BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Giving in

Anyone who has little kids knows that bed times are synonymous with bedtime stories, getting ready for bed and good night kisses. But there's more. Last minute bathroom needs, thirst quenching and other various creative stall tactics are also a part of the parent-kid bedtime dance. I'm scared, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, I need to prepare a thesis on the time space continuum are all common stall techniques passed down heretically through the ages. My son is no exception. On top of this he has allergies that make it more difficult to fall asleep some nights. Last night was one such night. After about an hour of his sniffling, asking for water and being unable to fall asleep he came into my room. I was already in bed awaiting the end of a TV show I was watching when he slowly came in looking at me with those pleading eyes. I knew that he was having a hard time falling asleep due to his allergies so I asked if he wanted to climb up into Mommy and Daddies bed. His face lit up instantly. He climbed up into the middle of the bed and covered up. I told him it was time to go to sleep and turned off the TV. As I reached for the light switch he put his hand on my arm, looked me straight in the eye and said those words that made giving in worth it. "You're the best Daddy ever. Thanks for letting me sleep here tonight".
He's 5 and yet he understands being grateful! I got a 2 fold gift in those sentences. First, the love of my 5 year old son, and second knowing that he understands what it means to appreciate things. We must be doing something right. My pride in my son was overflowing that night and we soon both drifted off to sleep with smiles on our faces.

0 comments: