BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 11, 2010

I Blinked

Oops, I blinked.  I didn't mean to.  It just sort of happened.  It seems that no matter how hard I try I still blink.  I wish I wouldn't, because I seem to miss too many moments of my kids growing up.  I blinked and my little girl who I spent evenings rocking to sleep is now reading in her bed at night.  I blinked and my little boy who used to love sleeping with us wants his own bed and own room at night.  Sometimes I think it's old age creeping in because I turn around and my little girl is now a 6 year old telling her daddy he's silly.  My boy is becoming a young man reading the nativity story out of his bible Christmas Day.  At 8 years old he has surpassed me in some things he's doing.  He kicks my butt in Mario Cart (easily I might add) and most other video games.  But most of all, he gets it.  He gets that Faith and God are the most important things.  He's learned in 8 years what took me almost 40.
As they get older I try and make sure I'm not being the workaholic I used to be.  I've learned that if I were to pursue more work, bigger paychecks, and higher positions I would be losing out on something more important and fulfilling, my family.  I have Robin to thank for that realization.  I was becoming a person who always wanted to make more, but now we just use what we have better and spend the time I used to spend working doing other stuff like playing the Wii as a family and spending time with friends.  She helps me stay focused on what is really important to us, being together as a family and making sure we have good friends to enjoy.  I still try not to blink because Connor and Sara are growing up so fast I don't want to miss anything.  But at least I know that I'm fighting to keep from blinking too much.

0 comments: