BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Police Chase onto Dallas Airport Runway

So I'm watching the news today and there is a police chase in Dallas.  It's like candy for the eyes and I can't stop watching.  The guy drives in to Dallas Love Field Airport.  I'm thinking, "ok, take him now!!"  If he gets too far, the airport will lock down and knowing there are up to 15 flights arriving and departing every 30 min, I realize that the airport will start putting flights into holding patterns and then diverting to other airports shortly thereafter.  But no, they continue to follow him.  He drives behind the terminal and then rams through a security gate leading to the actual ramp area and out onto the runway.  At this point I'm thinking this guy could be going to try and ram an aircraft.  He drives out onto the runway and they finally box him in and do the pick maneuver to stall the vehicle.  In a cloud of dust next to the runway they surround him and take him into custody.  Meanwhile in the background you can see 2 small Lear jets and 1 Southwest Airlines 737 sitting waiting to take off.  I can't help but wonder how this guy was able to ram through a gate with 4 police cars behind him and get direct access to the secure airport area.  I realize that the the main goal is to safely end this chase with no one getting hurt or killed and the job of a police officer is fraught with difficult decisions,  but once the guy rams through a security fence he has gone from a chase suspect to a direct threat to other people.  I'm glad it all ended with no one getting hurt, but I can't help but to wonder "what happens next time?  Will we be so lucky?".

0 comments: